At the heart of nearly every nonprofit is a dedicated and valued group of volunteers who make all the essential work possible. The Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation (KFF) is no different! This month, for the volunteer spotlight, we wanted to feature YOU, our future volunteers! This post will answer most questions you may have when it comes to volunteering with KFF.
What happens when I first sign up to volunteer?
When you fill out this form on our website, you are added to a special volunteer email list. We then contact you when we need volunteers to let you know about volunteer opportunities. That’s it!
What kind of volunteer opportunities are there at KFF?
Two major ways to volunteer with the Foundation are Boots and Bling and the Official Kansas State Fair (KSF) Merchandise Booth during the Kansas State Fair.
These opportunities are loads of fun and come with some unique perks!
Volunteering at Boots and Bling
Boots and Bling volunteers can take on various roles, from creating the magic during the setup for the event, registration as guests arrive and assist winning bidders with their silent or live auction purchases at the end of the evening– and many things in between!
One of the best benefits of volunteering to help with Boots and Bling is getting to attend the event! Each year the party is hopping and our volunteers get to have a lot of fun socializing, eating a fabulous meal, and making the important fundraising opportunities possible.
Volunteering at the Merch Booth
The Official Kansas State Fair Merchandise Booth is where the Foundation sells Kansas State Fair T-shirts and other souvenirs to KSF visitors, with funds going to the Foundation to use towards projects and improvements on the Fairgrounds.
Volunteers in the merch booth not only make sales, but they also get to chat with KSF enthusiasts and often enjoy some people-watching.
A big perk to this opportunity is free admission to the Fair on the day you work. Shifts are typically 3 hours at a time and can work around a variety of different schedules. The booth is open all 10 days of the Fair from 10 a.m. – 8 or 9 p.m. each day.
Are there other ways to volunteer with KFF?
Yes! We have various smaller opportunities randomly throughout the year, such as envelope stuffing for mailings like our end-of-year campaign. We consistently have multiple projects going on, so the possibilities are endless!
Can I really make a difference by volunteering?
All of our volunteers always make a difference! Every job is a big job, as each small thing we do has a big impact on the Fairgrounds.
We need volunteers of all kinds! You may have special skills or expertise that you can offer. Maybe you have some extra time you’d like to spare. Perhaps you own special equipment that could be useful for one of our events. The sky really is the limit when it comes to what volunteers can offer the Foundation!
Even if you don’t think you have something unique to offer, simply being willing to lend a helping hand is enough and makes a world of difference.
How much time do I have to commit to volunteering?
It depends on what you volunteer for and what you are willing and able to do. We have various opportunities that can work with nearly any schedule, so it’s truly up to you how much time you want to give! We don’t have any requirements regarding how much or how little our volunteers work.
Is there training for volunteers?
Training varies for each opportunity, but there is generally some kind of basic training involved for each job. For example, Boots and Bling training usually takes place the day before the event. Even if you can’t make it to the training, we will ensure you feel confident in your role the day of the event. On the other hand, training for the Merch Booth often happens when you show up for your first shift.
How do I sign up to volunteer with the Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation?
Signing up is easy! Simply follow the link below to fill out the volunteer application form on our website. Signing up only takes a few minutes and you will be on your way to making a big impact!
What if I have a question that isn’t answered here?
Please email us at email@example.com with any questions you have about volunteering, ways to support and be involved, or about the Foundation in general. We would love to connect with you!
How can I support the Foundation besides volunteering?
Volunteering is only one way to support the mission of the Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation: To further the renovation, construction, preservation and beautification of the Kansas State Fairgrounds for the purpose of enriching the unforgettable memories and traditions you experience only at the Kansas State Fair and on the Kansas State Fairgrounds year-round.
Other ways to support KFF are:
- Monetary Donations: There are a variety of areas to donate towards with a variety of benefits. All donations are tax deductible.
- Live and Silent Auction Donations: We are constantly seeking unique, high-quality donations for the Live and Silent Auction at Boots and Bling!
- Attending Boots and Bling: Does going to a party and having a blast to support a good cause sound up your alley? You’re in luck! Boots and Bling is our biggest FUNdraiser of the year, and by simply attending and getting your party on, you’re making a difference! A limited number of Sponsorships will be available in 2024. Please let us know if you would like to receive the Sponsorship Information.
- Social Media: Liking and following our pages (Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation, Boots and Bling, and 1861 Club), positive comments on posts and sharing our content help us out more than you know. The best part about it? It’s free and easy! One of the best things you can do is go to our pages, hit the 3 dots on the left-hand side, click “Invite Friends”, then “Select All” at the top left, and then send the invites! Any of these social media suggestions help us by spreading our reach. Who knows? Someone you invite could end up being a significant supporter alongside you!
- Sharing the Word: Simply sharing with friends, family, coworkers, and acquaintances about the Foundation and what we’re doing by word of mouth can also make a difference. There is definitely something to be said about grassroots connections!
Interested in becoming a Kansas Fairgrounds Foundation volunteer?